Sunday, September 5, 2010

Treasure Hunt

I woke up around 10 this morning to a dreary, rainy skyline.  It felt good to just sleep in, though.

I have the whole apartment to myself this weekend, as my friends took a trip out to the beach.  I decided to stay behind in order to maintain my priorities of school and saving money.

By the middle of this month, my Husband and I will be completely debt free; we will owe nothing to no one and I cannot wait.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it and am so incredibly proud of us for accomplishing this feat.

I have checked off almost everything on my to-do list with the exception of laundry and picking up products for a new skin care regimen.  I have been working on my paper for school today and I will admit, I am having a hard time staying focused.

With the inclement weather and being a little distracted, I decided to take a break and get out of the house.  

I have passed by this restaurant called the Greenhouse a handful of times in a hip little neighborhood near my apartment and heard good things about it, so I decided to go and check it out for myself.
 
The place was very cozy and definitely green.  From the cork floors to sustainable food items on the menu, I felt good about my choice to check it out and anxiously awaited to try what I ordered.

Not only was the service great, so was the food.  I ordered the hamburger steak (sans bread) with mushrooms and a small Greek salad (hold the feta).   It was pretty tasty.  I also had a mango smoothie (just mango and ice, blended) and a black small coffee.  The weather called for it.

I know I posted a few days ago about giving up caffeine....and I did really well for several days.  I have definitely not gone back to a cup (or 2, or 3) a day by any means, but I have had a couple cups since that post (like literally 2) and a couple cups of tea that were not caffeine free.

I think, because I was so completely addicted to it (and since I am not only doing the Whole 30 for 30 days, but adopting it more as a lifestyle and trying to go a full 90 days on plan in an attempt to completely reset my body and allow my body to heal as much as possible) that I will slowly wean myself off and work my way into being caffeine free.

Ironically, my Husband is also trying to give up the caffeine and sugar, so I think it will be cool to do it together.

It is definitely hard and can be a struggle, but it is by no means impossible.  It is all about mind set and being able to say "no thank you".

That goes along with a lot of things that are unhealthy in life.  Sometimes when people are engaging in unhealthy behaviors around you, it is tempting to throw in the towel and join in.  But I have learned that it is so much more rewarding to do what is best for me, politely decline, and reap the benefits of healthy choices.

Operating in that manner allows for a life lived with a conscious mind, totally involved in the experience, and without regrets.  Honestly, I don't know if it can get much better than that.

Wait, it just did.....I am sitting here, writing and realizing it is almost 730.  I am getting hungry and beginning to consider my options for dinner but I just got an invitation from another new friend that I have yet to meet in person (we have only conversed via text and phone).   Of course I accepted and am excited for another "frate"!  It came at the perfect time!

continued......

She is amazing and a very strong and independent woman.  I can see us getting along exceptionally well.  Conversation flowed and was easy and she was really funny and smart.  I am so happy I went!

We went to a restaurant called The Market and it was very quaint, with a sizable menu of delectable entree options and a PLETHORA of wine, although I did not imbibe.

I settled on a piece of grilled salmon, which was cooked to perfection alongside portabello hash, which was essentially portabello mushrooms sauteed with spices and topped with fresh chopped parsley.  It was simple and satisfying.......and totally paid for without me knowing, which was both very generous and completely unexpected.  I owe her one......

What a lovely almost ending to a lovely weekend....luckily for me it is not quite the end for me yet as I do have tomorrow off in observance of Labor Day.......I think I will finish the last 10% of my to-do's and if the weather is nice, go hit the pool.

Going to bed now though; CF in the morning! 

Food Journal:

Meal 1:  1 egg yolk and 4 egg white with tomato and olive oil 

Meal 2:  Apple and 2 oz Raw Almonds

Meal 3: Grapefruit

Meal 4:  Hamburger Steak with mushrooms, Greek Salad, Mango Smoothie, 1 cup black coffee

Meal 5:  Grilled salmon (no butter) and portabello hash (see above).

***I cannot WAIT to get my fridge fixed....I am SOOOOO LACKING in the protein department.  SAD FACES!

Also, my paper is done!

2 comments:

  1. Kara,

    Great blog! Thanks for setting up the link to the Whole9 on your sidebar. We appreciate everyone who shares what we're trying to do with others, however that may be. We've also really appreciated your thoughtful, supportive comments on the Whole30 post, and just would like to say thanks. Best,

    Dallas
    www.whole9life.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! It really has helped me so much and I want everyone I know to be aware that help is out there and that there is a better way! Thanks for all your guidance!

    ReplyDelete