Friday, September 3, 2010

Blind Frate (Friend Date)

Well, I just got home from meeting a lovely woman that another friend introduced me to.  We have spoken on the phone and sent a couple text messages to each other over the past couple of weeks and met for dinner at a very beautiful, cozy, and popular Lebanese restaurant tonight.

She is great; smart, funny, really easy to talk to...and we have a lot in common.  It made for a very enjoyable evening and it is nice to have met a new friend. 

An encounter such as this is what I call a frate.  A friend date.  Tonight, it was almost a blind frate.

Luckily, we hit it off (as I am sure our mutual friend knew we would) and conversation was free flowing from the second me met until we left each other.  I love meeting new, interesting people.

People really are fascinating to me.  I love how different (and sometimes how similar) people see things to how I see things.  It really gives perspective and opens new doors for further exploration of self.

Like we discussed tonight, we meet people in our lives for a reason.  Some people get the best of us while others get the worst.  Regardless, different people take away a different part of who we are depending on what kind of experience they have with us, although we are still the same person and certain characteristics are constant and dominant; we are just complex and have many layers, like an onion.

We also talked about the importance of blind faith and trusting in a bigger plan for our lives, even when we don't see it or understand it ourselves.  

Intellectual conversations are fun.


On another note, my fridge and freezer are still down. The repair guy finally got my apartment around 2 this afternoon.  He says the compressor seems to have gone out.  He is supposedly coming back tomorrow to fix it, as it was too hot to do it today (the fridge was still plugged in and running, but not cooling).

SO, I hope that happens because today's nutrition was WAY off.  I mean, I still ate healthy foods, but it was definitely not balanced.

CrossFit was fun tonight.

We (my friend and I go to CF together) took another friend with us and it was her first introduction to the madness that is CrossFit.

The WOD was:

21-15-9-6-3
Wall Balls (14#)
Jungle Rows
Mountain Climbers
Ball Thrusts (14#)
Sprawls (1 Sprawl and 4 punches =1 rep)

I finally was able to use a heavier weighted ball....14#.  It might not seem like a lot, but when I first started CF in April, I was using a 6# or 8# ball.  I used another ball as a target for my rear end to be sure I was going low enough on my squats...they are definitely improving and I am getting deeper on them and trying to focus on pushing my knees OUT and really engaging my glutes..  YAY!  Improvement.

Like I said before, my nutrition was out of whack today but here goes:

Meal 1:  Apple and 3 oz raw almonds

Meal 2: Avocado

Meal 3:  Mango and coconut milk smoothie (no sugar) and a greek(ish) salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, kalamata olives, in a oilive oil, red pepper, and lemon dressing); chicken breast.

Meal 4:  Apple and 2 oz almonds (definitely OD'd on them today...ugh, my stomach felt...not good)

Meal 5:  Seafood Soup (fish, shrimp, octopus in a seafood broth with carrots, celery, onions, and spices)

Well, I definitely got plenty of fat and fruit today (although I totally overloaded on nuts), not nearly enough protein,  and an embarrassingly low amount of healthy vegetables. 

Please Refrigerator Fairy......help me out.

Well, tomorrow I will try again.  My focus will be to get good quality protein and more veggies.  IN.  MY.  MOUTH.  DOWN.  MY.  THROAT.  IN.  MY.  STOMACH.

No comments:

Post a Comment