Monday, August 23, 2010

Here we go!

So here I am, posting for my very first time on my blog!  Go me!  Today was a great day.  I got up at 5am to make my 530 WOD; it was 5 rounds for time of:  20 Wall Balls, 20 Lunges with a 25 pound flat weight overhead (arms locked out!), 200 M run, and 20 box jumps.  I have to admit, it was not my best showing as I finished in 29:09.  But, I finished.  And I was SWEATY.  So that is always good.  I attribute it to coming off of a "break" and being sick last week.

As the day wore on, I was feeling good and had good fuel for my body.  I was a little lax on my protein today (I will be sure to re-adjust tomorrow) but enjoyed a simple breakfast (too simple in retrospect...I had NO complex carbs post WOD) of eggs, an orange, and black coffee with coconut milk.  My snacks, lunch and dinner were all derived from leftovers, so they were all pretty much the same:  lobster curry cabbage, asparagus and onions with garlic and parsley, baked (skinless) chicken thigh, and pumpkin (the real kind, not the can) with coconut milk, slivered almonds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and ginger.   YUM!


After I left work, I stopped by the gro sto to stock up on more clean eats.  Then I went for a 4 mile run and dunked myself in the pool afterward and swam relays with a couple friends for a bit.  It was the perfect workout!  The only thing that sucked was I ran in my Sprint 5 Fingers for the first time tonight.  I was only planning on running like 2 miles, but my friends kept going so I did too.  Right around the 4 mile mark I realized that I was getting hot spots on my feet.  OUCH!  I ended up walking the last couple miles back to the apartment.  *NOTE...you probably should SLOWLY break in your 5 finger shoes, especially for longer runs. 

This evening I made my Husband some spiced nuts in 3 varieties, sugar and cinnamon, spicy and bold, and spicy salt and pepper.  I hope he likes them!

Well, seeing as this is my first post I guess I should give you an idea of what to expect on this blog.  Basically, I will share my WOD times and this page will serve as a food journal for me as well.  This is to both help me stay accountable and hopefully help someone else out.  If you are looking to change your diet, check out the Whole30 page at:   http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/.   

I am on day 5 of 30 and looking forward to some changes.  Let me be honest here, I have attempted this twice before and both times, the first time on day 11 and the second time on day 22, I blew it.  Big time.  Like eating tres leches and flan and ice cream and pizza blew it, even though I WAS FEELING INCREDIBLE AND HAD MORE ENERGY AND WAS LOOKING BETTER AND I KNOW I WAS HEALTHIER FOR IT.  

So, I have adopted a new mantra.  Each time before I decide to do or eat something (or not) I simply ask myself  "Does this make me healthier?"  If the answer is yes, the sweet! Proceed!  But if it is no, then I am really going to t hink about whether it is worth it for me to put my body through it.  Pretty simple really.

If there are things you would like me to write about or post, please leave me a comment.  I will most likely (once I completely figure this interface out) post some links, recipes, CrossFit (CF) pictures and maybe some cooking videos.  Give me ideas!

I hope everyone had a great day!  I will check in again tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Do you normally run barefoot? Because if you're making the transition from shoes to minimal/BF, you'll want to take it a lot slower than that -- I rushed it and ended up laid up, could barely walk, for a month. Check out the Runner's World Barefoot Running forum for a good schedule to build up to 3 miles barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kara, Darlin'! All this food going in....... what I would like to know is it coming out nicely! LOL. Also, don't understand all of your lingo so you need to help the oldies and uninformed like me. What is WOD. I know what Yum is and the pumpkin does sound very Yum, Yum, Yummy. I didn't know what they were called but I get Hot Spots, too. I thought they were bad socks but realize now they are Hot Spots. Got them recently after walking 6 miles. Wilde about you Kara.. Love CG

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Wild Runner.....no, I normally run with shoes and just recently purchased the 5 Finger Sprints. Thanks for the tip....I definitely do not want to be out of commission for a month! I think the next run I take in them will be a shorter one, for sure! Thanks for following my blog!!

    @Gail....You are so funny. OK, so here is the lingo breakdown.

    WOD= Work Out of the Day

    ReplyDelete