Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Leaky Wallet

October has been a rough month for me.

I know it is only the 13th, but so far it has been tumultuous. 

I have extended past my spending boundaries and I feel pretty bad about it.

Looking at the account today I realized I am going to have about $500 less in the account come the 15th than I thought I would.

We have still saved a great deal of money this month but it could have been an even greater amount.

I have eaten out WAY more than I usually do and that is one of the things I feel the worst about.  Money just thrown away in restaurants consuming food that does not make me any healthier.

What I splurged on wasn't all bad.  I purchased my first ever real winter coat and a few pairs of boots and a couple leather jackets (all the boots and leather jackets were second hand; I found them all at Etsy at a great price).

I am a Florida Native and have still not learned how to dress myself appropriately for North Carolina winters.  It snows and I normally freeze.

I decided to spend on some good quality timeless pieces that will last a long time and that is what I did.  But I still feel really guilty.

It wasn't impulse necessarily and they are needed items.  But I probably could have gotten away with buying less.  Ugh.

What is it with me?  I deal with stress with overindulgence be it with retail therapy or food.  I have GOT to get a handle on this and learn some new coping methods.  Every time I do this, I find a way to justify my actions in my head and then feel an immense amount of guilt afterward and ultimately end up feeling angry with myself which only perpetuates the lack my ability to cope.

Sometimes I feel like I am so on top of things and other times, I feel like a complete flake.

4 comments:

  1. Oh girl, do I feel you right now. I'm the exact same way and it's so frustrating sometimes. I buy Zumbawear... or shoes... or delicious food from the grocery store... or an iTunes spending spree. :) If you find some coping methods then please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly I just try to give myself an allotted amount of blow money each month, usually $300. That is for me to buy shoes, boots, jackets, clothes, whatever I want. But lately, (I am out of the country for work) I have been using retail therapy to cope with some sad and lonely issues I have been having. I should go for a run or to the gym instead! At least those things are free pr already paiid for!

    One thing I find that helps me a lot, is to take out $$ each week or half of my blow money at the beginning of the month. When I take it all out at once, although you would think it wold be easier, when I have more off something I tend to use more; so in this case for me less is definitely more (beneficial).

    Cash goes a lot slower for me than using a debit card. I think it is because I am a tactile and visual person. When my cash is gone, that is it. Sometimes I leave $100 in my checking account in case I buy something online. That usually helps, this month has just been "one of those months", you know?

    But, I have learned a lesson and guilt is not a pleasant feeling, so I am going to really try to get back on my "cash diet". Luckily I have a very patient, loving, and understanding Husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when I have typos...allow me to correct myself.

    At least those things are free or already paid for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara,
    Come back to your blog, we miss you! And I just saw your reply. I like your idea of blow money and I really need to get back on track with that as well. Too much online buying lately. Cash is better for me, too! :)
    And I HAVE to get back on the Whole30... my diet has become "leaky" as well. :/

    ReplyDelete